Need an intro on getting good press? Here it is. One great suggestion to get in print publications (and blogs) is to:
Get to know your publication:
Buy three issues of the magazine and read it cover to cover.
- Observe which sections change month on month and which don’t.
- Make a note of what the cover theme is each month and which words or themes are repeated. Anything that is repeated time and time again on a cover means it’s a core topic for that magazine.
- From your own research form a picture of who the reader is.
- Create a profile of a typical advertiser and who they are trying to reach – this will help you understand where most of the magazine’s ad revenue comes from – and also who is currently successful in this market.
- Imagine your product or service appearing in the mag. Does it fit? Will the readers be interested in it? Can they afford it?
Once you have chosen the publication that is perfect for you and your idea then you are ready to begin your marketing onslaught. First things first: find out who is responsible for which areas of editorial. This may not be clear from the editorial panel so ring the magazine to find out. Speak to the secretary if you can’t speak to the team. The same goes for a newspaper or indeed any other media.
Armed with this information, there are four main ways that you can get the attention of a publication: as an Expert in your field, as an Ideas Machine, by sending a Press Release, or by requesting a Review.