After writing 15 Client Tips: A Mini Manifesto, I figured that turnabout is fair play. Here are 17 for Lawyers:
1. Whenever your clients don’t understand what you are doing for them, they think about what you are doing to them.
2. Many of your clients remain your clients because it is a pain in the ass to find another laywer – not because they love you.
3. Every time your clients get your bill, they think about how beautiful your office is and about the nice car you drive. And they wonder if you are worth it.
4. If your office is a dump and you drive a wreck, they wonder about that too.
5. If your client doesn’t pay you, fire them. Don’t ignore them.
6. At least once a year, tell a client, “It’s on the house.”
7. Taking a client to play golf doesn’t show how good a lawyer you are. It shows how good a golfer you are.
8. Quit being a pompous, demanding jerk around the office. If you can’t keep good staff, you don’t deserve good clients.
9. Your clients will always know their business better than you do. They may even know the law better than you. Make sure to seek their advice before giving yours.
10. A lawyer charging extra for stamps and copies is like a car wash charging extra for water. Stop it now.
11. Your clients have wants. Your clients have needs. They often don’t know the difference.
12. Whenever you interrupt a client meeting to take an “important” call, your client thinks about hiring another lawyer.
13. Imagine a world where your clients knew each month how much their bill from you will be so they could plan for it. They do.
14. If you hate being a lawyer, be something else. You are smart. You’ll figure it out.
15. A bill is not communication. At least not the good kind.
16. When is the last time you called a client just to thank them for being your client? That’s what I thought.
17. People don’t tell lawyer jokes just because they are funny. They tell lawyer jokes because they think they are true. Spend your career proving them wrong.