If you’ve got a big client, odds are they’ve got a pet project. Whether it is for a community organization, charity, civic group or volunteer event, supporting the causes your clients do can deepen your relationship with them while benefiting those in need.
That’s why, in 2010 you need to Resolve to Take Care of Clients’ Pet Projects. For every client, find out what kinds of charitable groups or causes they support (and why). Armed with this knowledge, here are a few things you can do:
- Get on the group’s mailing list, so you’ll always know how you can help.
- Donate money or goods to the cause’s auction in your client’s name.
- Instead of spending your time entertaining your clients, spend that time volunteering with them in support of their cause. You’ll get the same one-on-one time with the client, but will be helping out those in need. As a extra bonus, you’ll probably also get an introduction to several of your client’s peers.
- Find out what is the most pressing legal issue facing the cause (or its members), and offer to give a seminar to help them understand it better.
- Donate a percentage of that client’s fees to their cause as your holiday gift the client.
Your clients will not only appreciate your interest in their cause, but you might gain an interest in theirs. When that happens, everybody wins.