What would happen if a major law firm appointed a managing partner with no legal experience? Couldn’t happen, you say? At the Henry Ford Health System in Michigan, CEO Nancy Schlichting named an executive from The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company (and expert in service excellence) as the president of one of the health system’s hospitals.
Why hire someone outside of healthcare to run a major hospital? How about to jettison any preconceived notions while creating a “Hospital of the Future” that differentiates itself from the competition by:
- Has prototype rooms for planning and community input.
- Incorporates green features in the architecture and construction.
- Consists of all private patient rooms, including in the emergency department.
- Emphasizes wellness and healthy living.
- Combines traditional clinical care with complementary therapies.
- Creates a unique brand and inspiring staff to think differently.
- Includes family space in each patient room, including intensive care.
- Implements a new kind of food culture in health care.
- Putts a focus on the special concerns of the elderly.